We had a discussion this week that went sort of like this:
"Ever notice that in every 'heroic' sort of movie, especially the superhero type, there's always a special girl the hero rescues? It's true: every single one. Why is it that we keep making movies like that? Why is it the same formula does so well? You'd think people'd get tired of it."
"Well, I think that's an easy one. Because no matter what, guys like to imagine being a hero rescuing the girl...and girls like to imagine being rescued by a hero. So everybody likes the movie."
"Wow...so no matter how strong feminism gets..."
"Right. You can't quite conquer the natural order of things."
And it's true: even the imagery used to describe Jesus' relationship to the Church is couched in this basic facet of human nature. He is the groom who actually gives up his life to save his Bride, the Church. That imagery is used because it's a concept we easily grasp.
So there it is: the formula works. Not only that, it'll still be working when feminism finally gasps out it's last breath. God hardwired it in there pretty deep: no matter how much men's nobility is devalued and women work to lose their sweetness, there is an inbred longing for things to be the way our Creator intended.
3 comments:
I guess that I never thought about it that way, most girls (and must confess even me) have some sort of thing about ether A. being a hero or B. being saved by on,though I think that I always wanted to be the first category.
-L
By the way I meant to say one not on :)
Well, I think most people would rather be the hero than be the person needing rescuing. But most girls would still like to think there is a good guy who wants to save them.
Post a Comment