It's a good thing we have company on holidays: it always motivates me to clean and take a bite out of organizing or decorating things in our house. This week, I spent a lot of time working on the living room. Making it comfortable and less bare-looking was important, as was putting out "spring things" since Mom would really like to alternate a few things here or there for different seasons. I finally have the feeling things are arranged in a workable permanent way, so it's seemed like a good time to decorate. This big bare wall is probably going to take all summer to arrange, since it's going to take special work: a quilt for a hanging, a unique rack that doubles as a mount for a projector screen, and some electrical work to run the plugs.
The hearth is where most "seasonal" decorating fits. We've had the wooden duck for two years but never been able to think of how it would fit with a theme. Springtime appears to work well. I'd like to get different color candles and different candlesticks next year, as well as a black-and-bronze shallow pot for the pansies on the planter so it can match with the birdcage candlestick holder and the mirror.
The fuller of the two drawers in the music cabinet: all our quartet music at last sorted and paperclipped and marked and put in one easily-findable place! Now when Dad asks us to play stuff, we don't have to say, "Uh...we have no idea where that music is."
Our new couch! This one piece of furniture has been responsible for the shuffling of all the furniture in the living room and the catalyst to getting an arrangement comfortable enough for us all to want to sit in the living room together for the first time since moving into this house. The piano is still the major block to arranging this room like it was built to be arranged, but we have arrived at a decent compromise...as evidenced by the drastic increase in use the living room has experienced in the last three weeks.
It's starting to look like a really homey place! Now to get the replacement hinges so we can put the door back on the entertainment center...I sent an email to Drexel Heritage requesting information on replacement hardware for the 3-piece entertainment center from their Country Collection (which name I got by squeezing my nose and one eye between it and the wall to read the writing stamped on the back). We'll see what they have to say and if they intend to charge the price of a major limb to get ahold of a set of hinges.
2 comments:
I want to know who the person is with their hand in the picture ;)
James, I think. I can't remember now - I didn't actually see the hand until I was downloading the photos.
Post a Comment