I started reading a really good blog this week (www.smoothiegirl95.blogspot.com) and she has a feature called "Today's Question" that I really like. Which got me to think of some questions that I have now and then. So:
This Week's Question:
Why is it that when ovens get old, they begin baking unevenly?
As long as I've been baking, this is the pattern. You have a brand-spanking-new oven, you can bake anything you want and it'll brown evenly and not have any trouble cooking things through without burning them. Add ten years (and if ovens kept track of miles like cars...probably 200,000 miles) and the oven starts getting seriously squiffy. You put a tray of cookies in and it'll burn the one in the left-hand-back-corner to a crisp while the one in the right-hand-front-corner is still mush in the middle. What gives?
As you can tell, I had to bake nearly 300 sugar cookies this week. And burned at least five. Horrors. The only reason I didn't burn more, though, was because I kept rotating the trays like a manual rotisserie oven. Not the way to get anything done in a hurry.
So here's a bonus question: if I take a big jar and start putting spare change in it, how long do you think it'd take to save enough for a new oven?
2 comments:
Well, as an example shown by some of our friends, perhaps you should set out a jar with a picture of a burned cookie on it x-ed out and start putting money in there. I'm sure your very intellegent siblings and parents will take the hint and perhaps, since I'm SURE they don't like burned things either, they will contribute to the fund as well.
Leigh, that is a GOOD idea!
Post a Comment