Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Rewriting a book

I thought I’d write a post because I saw reworking my first story that I ever wrote. When I first started writing books as most of you will remember, I started rewriting the story of Peter Pan. Since then I have learned the best recipe for writing books is to come up with your own plot line so I promptly stuck the dumb, half finished book in a folder.

That was until two weeks ago.

I finished the four short stories I was writing and though I wanted to write another book, I couldn't seem to find anything that really interested me or got farther than page one. I went through some of my old folders and found the Peter Pan book stuck there and when I opened it, let me tell you, it was pretty painful. I thought that though badly written, it had a decent plot line so I deleted the first two chapters and I'm in the process of reworking them, starting with changing the name from "The Adventures of Four Girls in Never Land" to "The Biggest Adventure of All" which is referring to growing up.

Instead of having Wendy, John, and Michael go to Never Land like in the original book, the people who go to Never Land are two sisters, Wendy and Annie, and their two cousins, Meg and Rose.

Also, unlike the original book, this one is not set in Victorian England but in modern days. The two sisters live in a reenactment type town that's modeled after Victorian England and it starts off where Wendy keeps on having the same nightmare about Annie dieing and she's scared because it seems very real. Annie is having a dream with a similar setting and they both can't seem to get rid of it. Everything gets more exciting when Annie and Wendy find the diary of the girl who lived in the house before them but before they can examine it any more, it gets stolen.

So, eventually I'll finish this book and hopefully it will be good. I'm glad I'm not the only one posting anymore since I'm sure everyone was getting tired of my picture posts.

-Leigh

6 comments:

Anne said...

Oooh! Shall you publish on our website in serial form?

-the nosy one

앤나 said...

What's that supposed to mean? Either I just don't understand basic english or you don't talk it ;)

-L

Anne said...

I think it's the latter. ;)

Are you going to post your story a chapter at a time?

P.S. that's what dictionary.com is for. :D

앤나 said...

Uh, I don't think so. It might be a neat idea though.
I'll let you proof read it if you wish though I only have one rule: no giggling at none funny parts ;)

-Leigh

Michelle said...

Leigh, your writing style is improving in leaps and bounds!

I like your paragraphs.

If you have me proof-read, I refuse to tell you anything I find humorous. Ha.

Anne said...

Absolutely. No. Giggle.

Sincerely,

Your Sister